If the car won’t start, check the basic things first:
• is the battery OK?
• If the car doesn’t start with the automatic transmission in “Park,” does it start in “Neutral”? Sometimes a car won’t start in “Park” but starts in “Neutral” because of a problem with a neutral safety switch.
• Are the battery cables tight and not corroded?
• Do you think there is enough fuel in the tank? It’s a common situation when the fuel gauge isn’t working properly and the car runs out of fuel with the fuel gauge still showing some fuel left. There is no way to check the fuel level other that the fuel gauge. But you can estimate how long you drove since the last fill.
• Is the “Security” or key-shaped light in the instrument panel stays on or blinking?
• Does your car have an anti-theft system that for some reason doesn’t allow the car to be started?